(Ages 3-4; age 3 in September 2020. With parent/caregiver.)
In this class, children and their parent/caregiver continue to engage in a wide variety of musical activities, including singing as well as playing age-appropriate un-pitched percussion instruments*. Circle dances and structured movement activities are also crucial components.
Instruments that require finer motor skills are introduced. Students sing songs with wider vocal range and more intricate rhythmic patterns to develop pitch matching, solo singing, and sense of rhythm. Through musical stories, games, and activities, children are also introduced to basic rhythmic and melodic concepts. Class activities and benefits include:
* Instruments may be purchased through Levine.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Instrument playing with age-appropriate un-pitched percussion instruments to encourage basic rhythmic competency, including ability to play a steady beat
- Simple solo singing for improved listening and pitch matching skills
- Movement activities to develop fine and gross motor skills
- Expressive movement to music, leading to spatial awareness and control
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
Students begin to contribute their own ideas which is an important first step to improvisation
Participants receive guidance on children’s musical development, tools that support the creation of a nurturing musical environment at home.
The class consists of:
- 30 minutes of a live online weekly class
- 10 minutes of Community Time,
- Access to portal, with music and recordings of class songs/activities, weekly video of class highlights, and monthly newsletter
- Access to monthly Facebook Live Sing-Along with First Music Faculty
Please note: All classes consist of a period of instructional time followed by 10 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Youlee Park, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or email@example.com.