Experience the joy of creating music together with your child! Children and their parent or caregiver engage in a wide variety of fun musical activities, including singing, playing percussion instruments (instruments are available for purchase through Levine), and movement activities. Through musical stories, games, and activities, children are also introduced to basic rhythmic and melodic concepts. Each class provides a variety of age-appropriate musical activities that foster cognitive, physical, and social skills.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Instrument playing with age-appropriate un-pitched percussion instruments to encourage basic rhythmic competency, including the ability to play a steady beat
- Simple solo singing for improved listening and pitch matching skills
- Movement activities to develop fine and gross motor skills
- Expressive movement to music, leading to spatial awareness and control
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
- Students begin to contribute their own ideas which is an important first step to improvisation.
Participants receive guidance on children’s musical development and tools that support the creation of a nurturing musical environment at home.
The class consists of:
- 30 minutes of weekly class
- 10 minutes of Community Time after each class
- Access to a web portal, with music and recordings of class songs/activities, weekly video of class highlights, and monthly newsletter
- Access to monthly Facebook Live Sing-Along with First Music Faculty
Please note: All classes consist of instructional time followed by community time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children. This online class will be presented via Zoom. Students should have access to a computer (preferred) or a mobile device with reliable internet access.
For more information, please contact Youlee Park, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1106 or email@example.com.