Building Musical Bridges
(AGES 6 and 7 without a caregiver. Must be age 6 as of September 2023)
This class “bridges” our popular Elementary Music classes with private instrument study, offering older children more structured learning of complex musical ideas, note-reading and basic theory. The class prepares students, including future vocalists, who aren’t quite ready for one-on-one private instruction, with supplemental skills for learning an instrument or developing their voice. It is also intended for students who have recently begun private instrument study, as they benefit from the additional learning and reinforcement of skills and concepts. Students develop and perform in multiple disciplines including singing, playing Orff instruments, basic percussion, and movement/dance. This course also focuses on student composition and performance.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Creation of musical forms through playing Orff instruments, and movement activities.
- Reading and writing musical notation, including melodic and rhythmic concepts
- Increased awareness of ensemble
- Development of rhythmic accuracy
- Strengthened pitch matching and independent singing abilities
- Expression of musical ideas
- Improvisation within the pentatonic and diatonic scales
- Demonstration of musical creativity through composition
- Exploration of major and minor tonalities