Explore music through games, movement, and instrument discovery! Using songs and musical games, children expand their musical vocabulary, pitch matching, and rhythmic abilities while developing their listening skills, concentration, and sense of timing. Children develop musical independence through improvisation. Each class provides a variety of age-appropriate musical activities that foster cognitive, physical, and social skills.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Development of pitch matching skills through basic solo singing and singing games
- Development of rhythmic skills including beat, meter, tempo and durational patterns
- Exploration and improvisation using Orff instruments (pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments)
- Expanded knowledge of musical instruments and instrument families
- Introduction to written musical notation
- Development of social skills and cooperation through group activities such as dancing, playing and musical stories
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
The class consists of:
- 45 minute weekly class
- 10 minutes of Community Time after each class
- Access to a web portal, with music and recordings of class songs/activities, weekly video of class highlights, and monthly newsletter
- Access to monthly Facebook Live Sing-Along with First Music Faculty
Please note: All classes consist of instructional time followed by community time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Youlee Park, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1106 or email@example.com.