(Ages 4-5; age 4 in September 2020. Without parent/caregiver.)
This is the first class without parent/caregiver in our series, reinforcing and building on musical skills introduced in Adventures in Music (not a prerequisite). Students expand their musical vocabulary, pitch matching and rhythmic abilities through songs, chants, and the use of un-pitched percussion instruments*, as they gain experience with creating music independently.
Movement continues to play an important role, as simple circle games and activities that promote expressive movement are incorporated.
Students develop listening skills, concentration, and a sense of timing as more complex and ensemble activities are introduced. “Visiting instruments” continue throughout the year as students are exposed to new sounds and instrument families.
* Instruments may be purchased through Levine.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Development of pitch matching skills through basic solo singing and singing games
- Exploration using age-appropriate un-pitched percussion instruments
- Expanded knowledge of musical instruments and instrument families
- Development of rhythmic competency, including beat keeping and division of beat through movement and instrument playing
- Expressive movement activities
- Simple circle dances
- Development of social skills through group activities such as dancing, playing and musical stories
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
The class consists of:
- 45 minutes of a live online weekly class
- 10 minutes of Community Time,
- Access to portal with music and recordings of class songs, as well as monthly newsletter
- Access to monthly Facebook Live Sing-Along with First Music Faculty
Please note: All classes consist of a period of instructional time followed by 10 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Youlee Park, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.