Discover the joys of making music with your child! Children and their parent or caregiver engage in musical activities such as singing songs and lullabies, chants, simple finger plays, wiggles, bounces, listening, and movement. Each class provides a variety of age-appropriate musical activities that foster cognitive, physical, and social skills.
Participants receive guidance on children’s musical development and tools that support creating a nurturing musical environment at home.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Opportunities to play basic percussion instruments (instruments are available for purchase through Levine) such as shakers and drums to enforce the learning of steady beat
- Use of echo songs to encourage creativity and individual contribution
- Development and reinforcement of identification skills (body/spatial awareness, numbers, colors, shapes, seasons, family and animals) through games and musical play
- Repertoire of songs and activities to use at home
- Fostering of social development and exploration
- Cultivation of creative expression
The class consists of:
- 30 minute weekly class
- 10 minutes of Community Time after each class
- Access to a web portal, with music and recordings of class songs/activities, weekly video of class highlights, and monthly newsletter
- Access to monthly Facebook Live Sing-Along with First Music Faculty
Please note: All classes consist of instructional time followed by community time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Youlee Park, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1106 or email@example.com.