(AGE 3 as of September 2023 with caregiver)
This class provides a wonderful opportunity for a caregiver and child to make music together as they participate in singing songs, chants, finger plays, wiggles, bounces, listening and movement.
Students and their caregiver engage in a wide variety of musical activities, including singing and playing age-appropriate unpitched percussion instruments. Circle dances and structured movement activities are also crucial components.
Instruments that require fine motor skills are introduced. Students sing songs with wider vocal range and more intricate rhythmic patterns to develop pitch matching, solo singing, and sense of rhythm. Through musical stories, games, and activities, children are also introduced to basic rhythmic and melodic concepts.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Instrument playing with age-appropriate un-pitched percussion instruments to encourage basic rhythmic competency, including ability to play a steady beat
- Simple solo singing for improved listening and pitch matching skills
- Movement activities to develop fine and gross motor skills
- Expressive movement to music, leading to spatial awareness and control
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
- Students begin to contribute their own ideas which is an important first step to improvisation.
Please note: All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.