Misbin Family Memorial Chamber Music Competition
Levine Music and Washington Performing Arts jointly present the tenth annual Misbin Family Memorial Chamber Music Competition. The competition is open to instrumental chamber music students as well as adult amateurs and will be judged by a panel of members of the Greater Washington music community chosen by Washington Performing Arts and Levine.
The preliminaries of the competition will be a video submission due by Sunday, March 26, 2023.
The finals of the competition will be held in person at Levine Music’s DC Campus: NW on Sunday, April 30, 2023 between 11:30 AM and 5:30 PM. Specific performance schedule will be assigned closer to the date of the finals.
This competition is made possible by the generous support of Dr. Robert Misbin.
The winners’ concert will take place in person on Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 6 PM at Levine Music’s DC Campus: NW. This concert will be part of the celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Misbin Competition and will be a high-profile performance. Winners of the 2023 Misbin Competition must plan to be present and perform at this concert.
Applicants may compete in one of three divisions:
- Junior (average age of ensemble is under 13 years old by March 26, 2023)
- Senior (average age of ensemble is between 13 and 19 years old by March 26, 2023)
- Adult amateur (all group members must be 19 years or older and not professional musicians or currently in a music degree program)
Completed applications and video submissions are due by Sunday, March 26, 2023.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
All application fees are per group.
Before March 5, 2023:
Duos – $50 per group
Trios/Quartets – $75 per group
Quintets, Sextets, Septets, and Octets – $100 per group
After March 5, 2023:
Duos – $60 per group
Trios/Quartets – $90 per group
Quintets, Sextets, Septets, and Octets – $120 per group
Prizes and Awards
- Cash prize $100 per member
- Performance at the Tenth Anniversary Misbin Competition Celebration on Saturday, May 20 at 6 PM at Levine Music’s DC Campus: NW ( First prize winners must plan to be present and perform at this important event)
- Free participation in the Play-In with the Pros workshop on Sunday June 11, 2023 at Levine Music’s DC Campus: NW
- Second prize winners could be considered for possible performance opportunities through WPA and Levine, as well as possible participation in the Play-In workshop.
- Misbin Family Memorial Award to the best group with piano (Junior and Senior divisions only) $100 cash prize per group member.
Competition Rules (All Divisions)
The competition is open to instrumental chamber music ensembles (any string or wind instruments, with or without piano) in the following age categories:
- Junior (average age of ensemble is under 13 years as of March 26, 2023)
- Senior (average age of ensemble is above 13 and under 19 years as of March 26, 2023)
- Adult Amateurs (all members are 19 years and up and not professional musicians or in a music degree program)
All divisions must have at least two participating groups to go forward.
One or two movements from a major instrumental chamber music work of any musical period. The total program must be no longer than 10 minutes per chamber group.
Concertos and concert pieces with piano accompaniment will not be accepted. Baroque ensembles are encouraged to use standard baroque performance practices (i.e. well-researched editions, unrealized continuo parts, etc.).
Each group must complete one online application form (follow link below). The application includes a secure link for the online payment of the application fee. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM on Sunday March 26, 2023.
- The preliminary round will be conducted by video submission. All videos must be recorded straight through without interruption or editing. Preliminary application and video submission deadline: Sunday March 26, 2023.
- The application deadline does not guarantee admittance into the finalist competition.
- Applicants will be adjudicated based on their musicianship, technical ability, interpretation, stage presence, and overall presentation.
- Applications and videos will be reviewed by judges and the list of finalists will be announced by Monday, April 3, 2023.
- The final round of the Misbin Competition will be held in person at Levine Music’s DC Campus: NW on Sunday, April 30, 2023.
Complete applications must include a YouTube video link. No incomplete applications will be considered for participation. The application fee is non-refundable.
Please email email@example.com with any questions about the application process.
Preliminary Round: YouTube Video Guidelines
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 26, 2023 (video must accompany application submission)
Please review the following guidelines for submitting Preliminary Round videos.
- Time Limit: Video must include one or two movements from an instrumental chamber music work of any musical period. The total program must be no longer than 10 minutes per chamber group. Concertos and solo pieces with piano accompaniment will not be accepted.
- Video must include unedited complete movements or pieces.
- Excerpts from movements/pieces are not accepted.
- The video repertoire must be the same pieces intended for the finalist competition.
- Video recordings must be made in the last 6 months.
- The video must clearly show all the performers (videos shot from far away will be disqualified).
- It is recommended that competitors submit recordings with a high quality of sound. The use of iPhones or similar recording devices that reproduce good quality sound are acceptable.
- The leader of the group must announce the category in which the group is competing, as well as the name of the piece(s) and its composer at the beginning of the video. This can be done in a short separate video, but must be uploaded as part of the same YouTube video as a the performance video. Note: the names of the participants MUST NOT be announced. The competitors’ names and coaches should NOT be known to the jury. Videos in which the names of the competitors are made known will be disqualified. Each group should instead choose a group name and identify themselves by the group name (e.g. The Trio con Brio). The group name must not indicate an affiliation with a teacher or institution.
- Video and audio editing are prohibited. Judges want to see continuous playing (examples: no straight cuts, dissolves, cross dissolving, fading in and out in the middle of the piece). Videos with signs of editing will be disqualified.
- If the video link does not work by the deadline then the video will be disqualified.
- Recital recordings are acceptable as long as they meet the criteria mentioned above (editing between pieces is fine in this case, as long as the pieces are performed in the same recital).
The competition applicant agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of Washington Performing Arts and Levine Music’s Misbin Family Memorial Competition. The applicant and parent(s)/ guardian(s) understand that all information inserted in the competition application is accurate, and all results, as determined by the official competition judges, are final.
YouTube Submission Information
Mandatory YouTube submission is due with the completed application by Sunday, March 26, 2023.
STEP 1: Upload Video to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/upload
- VERY IMPORTANT- please DO NOT identify players or coaches on video. Please choose a name for your group that DOES NOT identify players, coaches, or organizations.
- Change privacy setting from ‘PUBLIC’ to ‘UNLISTED’. This way only people with the specific video URL are able to watch the video
- See guidelines below
STEP 2: Complete the application
STEP 3: Email a PDF of the music/score to firstname.lastname@example.org