Misbin Family Memorial Chamber Music Competition
Application with preliminary video deadline: March 20, 2022
Finals (in-person): April 24, 2022
Washington Performing Arts and Levine will present the ninth annual Misbin Family Memorial Chamber Music Competition. The competition is open to instrumental chamber music students, as well as adult amateurs and will be judged by a panel chosen by Washington Performing Arts and Levine from members of the greater Washington music community.
This competition is made possible by the generous support of Dr. Robert Misbin.
Applicants may compete in the following age categories:
- Junior (average age of ensemble is under 13 years old by March 20, 2022)
- Senior (average age of ensemble is between 13 and 19 years old by March 20, 2022)
- Adult Amateurs (all members are 19 years or older and not professional musicians or in a music degree program)
Application are due by March 20, 2022.
Application fees are as follows:
Before February 27, 2022:
Quintets, Sextets, Septets, and Octets- $100
After February 27, 2022:
Quintets, Sextets, Septets, and Octets- $120
- Misbin Family Memorial Award to the best group with piano (Junior and Senior divisions only)
- Washington Performing Arts Women’s committee Award
- Cash prize $100 per member
- Professional video recording session through Washington Performing Arts. Groups will receive their video for their own use. A date, time, and location for the recording session will be planned at a later date.
- Participation in the special workshop “Play-In with the Pros” in June 2022 at Levine Music
If possible and safe to do so, Washington Performing Arts and Levine Music will provide additional performing opportunities for the Misbin Competition prize winners as opportunities arise in the year following the competition. Past winners have performed at: Happenings at the Harman, Levine Introduces, pre-concert performances at Washington Performing Arts events, the annual Waterford “Best of Levine” Concert Series and performances at the National Gallery, Millennium Stage, and appropriate master classes.